Periodontal Disease and The Oral Microbiome: Their Effect on the Brain
Live, Interactive Webcast Continuing Education Course - 3 Hours Credit
Instructor: Dr. Joanne Conaway, N.D., B.S.N., R.N.
What you may not know about oral bacteria. Recent research has shown mouth bacteria has a profound impact on brain and body health. It is estimated 80% of disease symptoms are related to problems in the mouth and many are directly related to the imbalance of mouth bacteria, an imbalance of the mouth microbiome. This imbalance directly impacts our overall health. This course focuses on the impact on brain and neurological system health as well as cardiovascular system health as it relates to an unhealthy mouth microbiome.
After completing this course, the clinician will be able to:
- Recognize the importance of a healthy mouth microbiome.
- Understand the link between the oral microbiome and the gut microbiome.
- Understand the impact of unhealthy mouth bacteria on overall health.
- Understand the role of unhealthy mouth bacteria and the impact on neurological function.
- Recognize the relationship between the mouth microbiome and chronic inflammation leading to ill health.
- Understand how translocation of unhealthy mouth bacteria can impact cardiovascular system function.
- Understand the link between mouth bacteria and the production of nitrous oxide (NO) and the healthy regulation of blood pressure.
About Live, Interactive Continuing Education Webinars
A live, interactive webinar is similar to attending a continuing education seminar in your community, except that you attend via your computer. Each course is done live in a format that allows your participation. Anyone who has access to a computer that can play sound can participate in an ACES webinar. No special computer knowledge or equipment is required to participate in our webinars. When you enroll in any ACES course, you will be sent an email with complete information on how to join the webinar and a copy of the course syllabus. At the conclusion of your live webinar, you will complete a course examination online. You will then be able to print your continuing education certificate from your computer.
Disclosure of Relevant Financial Relationships:
Instructor Dr. Joanne Conaway: No relevant financial relationship to report
Education Advisory Committee (EAC): Members of the EAC have no relevant financial relationships to report
ACES ownership and staff: No relevant financial relationship to report
Advanced Continuing Education Systems is an ADA CERP Recognized provider for dental continuing education. ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry.
Advanced Continuing Education Systems designates this activity for 3 continuing education credits.
Advanced Continuing Education Systems (Provider RP4393) has been approved by the Dental Board of California as a provider of dental continuing education.