Time (PT): 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Time (ET): 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
The Gastrointestinal System
How it Works and What Happens When it Doesn't
Live, Interactive Webcast Continuing Education Course
3 Hours Credit
Instructor: Dr. Joanne Conaway, N.D., B.S.N., R.N.
This course provides a detailed examination of the functional components of the gastrointestinal system. Emphasis will be on the role of each functional component and the job each does to ensure foods consumed are broken down into the molecular structures necessary to do the job at the cellular level. In addition, the influence of convenience and fast foods on proper digestion, obesity and ill-health will be discussed. This is a course designed not only as a refresher but as instructional with respect to the role of enzymes, hormones and probiotics, their role in digestion and their relationship to optimal health.
After completing this course, the clinician will be able to:
- Describe the functional components of the digestive system and the role each plays in insuring optimal physical and mental health.
- Describe the digestive system's role in healthy immunity.
- Describe the role of enzymes in digestion and the problems associated with enzyme deficiencies.
- Describe the function of the gallbladder and identify potential nutritional deficiencies which occur if removed.
- Describe the digestive function of the liver and pancreas and how each contributes to the absorbtion of nutrients.
- Identify strains of bacteria found in the intestines to include those which are beneficial and detrimental.
- Identify drugs, eating havits and environmental factors that destroy beneficial intestinal bacteria and allow for an overgrowth of detrimental bacteria.
About Live, Interactive Webcast Continuing Education Seminars:
A live, interactive webcast seminar is similar to attending a continuing education seminar in your community,
except that you attend via your computer. Each course is done live in a format that allows your participation.
Anyone who has access to a computer that can play sound can participate in an ACES webcast seminar. No
special computer knowledge or equipment is required to participate in our webcast seminars.
When you enroll in any ACES webcast course, you will be sent an e-mail with complete information on how to
join the online seminar and a copy of the course syllabus. At the conclusion of your live seminar, you will complete
a course examination online. You will then be able to print your continuing education certificate from your computer.
Disclosure of Relevant Financial Relationships:
Instructor: Dr. Joanne Conaway - No relevant financial relationship to report
Education Advisory Committee (EAC): Members of the EAC have no relevant financial relationships to report
ACES ownership and staff: No relevant financial relationship to report
Advanced Continuing Education Systems is an ADA CERP Recognized provider for dental continuing education.
ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry.
Advanced Continuing Education Systems designates this activity for 3 continuing education credits.
Advanced Continuing Education Systems (Provider RP4393) has been approved by the Dental Board of California as a provider of dental continuing education.
To learn more about ACES and this course: call 888-844-ACES