Intro to Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders: The Solution May Be on the Tip of Your Tongue
Live, Interactive Webcast Continuing Education Course - 3 Hours Credit
Instructor: Sara Mercier, RDH, BS, MAS™
This course will discuss orofacial myofunctional disorders (OMDs), their causes, their symptoms, and how the dental team can identify and support patients who present with OMDs. We will discuss myofunctional therapy, and airway dentistry and medicine. Attendees will walk away with an understanding of how myofunctional therapy can improve and maintain patients’ oral health, systemic health, and quality of life. Providers will be given the tools to incorporate myofunctional therapy into their treatment plans and/or practice business model.
- Define Myofunctional Therapy & Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders (OMDs)
- Identify common OMD symptoms and how they present in different age groups
- Understand the impact of Tethered Oral Tissues (TOTs) and perform a general screening for TOTs and OMDs
- Describe the differences between airway-focused orthodontics and traditional, retractive orthodontics
- Review case studies of OMDs and treatment
- Learn to collaborate with myofunctional therapists and incorporate myofunctional therapy into treatment plans and/or business models
- Identify considerations for myofunctional-trained RDHs and the providers they work with
About Live, Interactive Continuing Education Webinars
A live, interactive webinar is similar to attending a continuing education seminar in your community, except that you attend via your computer. Each course is done live in a format that allows your participation. Anyone who has access to a computer that can play sound can participate in an ACES webinar. No special computer knowledge or equipment is required to participate in our webinars. When you enroll in any ACES course, you will be sent an email with complete information on how to join the webinar and a copy of the course syllabus. At the conclusion of your live webinar, you will complete a course examination online. You will then be able to print your continuing education certificate from your computer.
Disclosure of Relevant Financial Relationships:
Instructor: Sara Mercier - No relevant financial relationship to report Education
Advisory Committee (EAC): Members of the EAC have no relevant financial relationships to report
ACES ownership and staff: No relevant financial relationship to report
Advanced Continuing Education Systems is an ADA CERP Recognized provider for dental continuing education. ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry.
Advanced Continuing Education Systems designates this activity for 3 continuing education credits.
Advanced Continuing Education Systems (Provider RP4393) has been approved by the Dental Board of California as a provider of dental continuing education.