Time (PT): 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Time (ET): 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Drug Addiction: Methamphetamine, cocaine, opioids, sedatives and alcohol
Live, Interactive Webcast Continuing Education Course
3 Hours Credits
Instructor: Dr. Vera Brown, D.M.D.
This course will review the pathophysiology of the more commonly abused drugs: methamphetamine, cocaine, opioids, sedatives and alcohol. We will review the acute and chronic effects on the brain as well as the body. Signs and symptoms of drug use, withdrawal and basic treatment.
After completing this course, the clinician will be able to:
- Review basic physiology of drugs.
- Review the limbic system.
- Review the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems and how drugs effect each system.
- Review the pathophysiology of methamphetamine, cocaine, opioids, sedatives and alcohol.
- Review opioid receptors, where they are found and how they are affected with opioid use.
- Review the acute and chronic effects of alcohol on the brain and organs.
- Understand GABA’s role and how it is affected by sedatives and alcohol.
- Review withdrawal, acute and chronic symptoms, from cocaine, meth, sedatives and opioids, and alcohol.
- Review how diagnoses are determined and treatment.
- Review the timeline of withdrawal of opioids, sedatives, and alcohol.
About Live, Interactive Webcast Continuing Education Seminars:
A live, interactive webcast seminar is similar to attending a continuing education seminar in your community, except that you attend via your computer. Each course is done live in a format that allows your participation.
Anyone who has access to a computer that can play sound can participate in an ACES webcast seminar. No special computer knowledge or equipment is required to participate in our webcast seminars.
When you enroll in any ACES webcast course, you will be sent an e-mail with complete information on how to join the online seminar and a copy of the course syllabus. At the conclusion of your live seminar, you will complete a course examination online. You will then be able to print your continuing education certificate from your computer.
Disclosure of Relevant Financial Relationships:
Instructor: Dr. Vera Brown - No relevant financial relationship to report
Education Advisory Committee (EAC): Members of the EAC have no relevant financial relationships to report
ACES ownership and staff: No relevant financial relationship to report
Advanced Continuing Education Systems is an ADA CERP Recognized provider for dental continuing education.
ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry.
Advanced Continuing Education Systems designates this activity for 3 continuing education credits.
Advanced Continuing Education Systems (Provider RP4393) has been approved by the Dental Board of California as a provider of dental continuing education.
To learn more about ACES and this course: call 888-844-ACES